Friday, April 26, 2024

Dear Austin: On Grief

Dear Austin,

It’s been 5 months. 

This last month was the hardest yet. I feel like I cry everyday.

Sometimes sobs just bubble up out of me with no warning; sometimes they are preceded by a glance at a photo, a walk past your day room, or a strong memory.

I miss you so much.

I thought I knew grief. I did not. I thought all grief is the same. It is not.

I now think grief due to unrealized expectations is different from grief due to loss. Not harder, not easier, just different.

I mean, loss includes unrealized expectations. I expected you to keep on living. I expected your care to continue to consume my life. I expected you might outlive me. I expected to see your smile every morning, and hear your coos and chirps throughout the day.

But loss is also final; there are no more unrealized expectations. There’s just an end. A hole in my soul. A gap in my routine. A missing thread. 

A screaming silence.





 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Father, for Rachel's devotion to precious Austin. Touch her tender heart with healing and peace. 🥰🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father God, You know the loss of your beloved Son. But because of that loss and resurrection , we have the assurance that Rachel will see, touch and love on Austin in your Kingdom. Fill her heart with that assurance today, dear Lord.

    ReplyDelete